Friday, September 24, 2010

It's been too long...

Unfortunately, I've let this blog slide a little, so I have to do my best to update on the last week and a half. I may just have to list the cool things I've done since last week:

1. Hiking above Manoa. After class last Thursday, I went with a new friend up a hill behind my dorm, and kept going up that hill until we were on the top of the ridge overlooking Manoa Valley. Some pictures:

(view of Manoa valley below. Campus is towards the left.)
View of Diamond Head in full-- before this hike, it was hard for me to visualize it as a crater. (Waikiki is to the right, the dorms are in front-- you can see the circular towers.)

2. Swing Dancing. Kind of nerdy, maybe, but definitely fun. A friend from Ultimate brought the whole Haverford Gang. It was a fun way to meet people, but I'm terrible at the dancing. Aubrey (from Haverford) says that it's because I am bad at following. Something about "being a woman who knows what I want"... Thanks, Aubrey. I hope to go back and get better, though! Maybe even take the parents when they come out to visit in November...

3. Hanging out with my roomates (suitemates)! It's been nice to get to know them a little better and spend more time with them. I have three in total-- Brittany from Chicago, Hannah from Minnesota, and Lei from Maui.

4. Using time after class to do things I want. Tuesdays have been wonderful because I get out of class at 2:45 and then bus down to the beach and hang out for a while before ultimate starts in a nearby park at 5:30. Also, yesterday I went to the beach with my friend Maya after class and just napped and relaxed. It's nice to work hard in school, and then be able to be outside and unwind.

5. Last night, I went to a really wonderful flea market in Chinatown with some friends from my Ultimate team. It was great hanging out with them, and I got some great finds! The flea market is held once a month, and different artists/jewlery-makers/crafters/hipsters come out and sell a lot of really interesting stuff. One woman had a stand that was just spandex shorts and pants she made by hand. I was in heaven, but had to resist... Maybe something for next month...

As a side-story that does not have to do with the cool things I've done here-- Haverford College is out of control. Last week, after going to the Hawaii 5-0 premiere, I wrote a blog post very similar to the one here for the "A Semester Almost Abroad" program website. I did this mostly because Anna Womack, the program director, asked me to, and she's incredibly nice and generous, so I couldn't say no. Somehow, the Haverford study abroad office got a hold of it, posted it on THEIR website and put it on the Haverford front page WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. I didn't even know I was up and on the site until people from Haverford pointed it out... UNCOOL, Haverford. It would have been fine, but no one asked me or even informed me that it was up...

In any case, life is still good here! I'll try to post more often, too, so these posts don't have to be so wordy. Tomorrow I'm taking a geology field trip to Koko head, so I'll be sure to post pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment